Monday 27 February 2012

An August trip to Scotland


In August we will be hot footing it to Scotland (near Aberdeen) for a spot of salmon fishing.
For my resident hunter it is an annual trip, for me, it will be the first time.
I am more of a fair weather holiday maker, anything that carries any risk of involving 'cold' was simply never worth taking holiday time.  No longer do I have this excuse and so I am obliged to come.
Our hosts are pretty serious about the fishing, rain or shine, it is up at 6 am and standing in cold water to our waists until sunset.  I have heard of parties who break for boozy lunches and tots of whiskey, which would seem like a good idea if the weather is particularly inclement, but not so for us.
As I don't want to waste a rod by being a lightweight, I thought I would beg a few days off for other activities.  So far I have found only Cawdor Castle which looks amazing and worth a trip.
Any tips regarding good spas, restaurants or any thing to do in the area other than fishing would be gratefully received!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I went fishing last year and loved it until "Wait, how long do we stay out for?" The promise of food and alcohol was the only thing that kept me going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky you are not going up to Sutherland I can assure you there a no Spas up there. Only salmon fishing and grouse moors. You might have a sporting chance of finding something civilised to do near Aberdeen.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment thank you so much, it means a lot.